Sunday, October 27, 2013

Week Eight Writing Assignment


Ocean at the End of the Lane

I was so excited to actually be assigned to read a work by Neil Gaiman!  I had not read his latest work so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. When reading Gaiman’s, “Ocean at the End of the Lane” it is set up as a clear work of contemporary science fiction. You are immediate thrust into the life of a character that has all these events and commotion going on in his life. The story seems set in a realistic realm with quirky characters (Lettie being the main one) where strange things have happened and the main character arrival home dredges up all these memories from his past he seems to have mysteriously forgotten. He ends up encountering supernatural beings trying to invade the human world and it is up to Lettie to save him. It ultimately nearly costs Lettie her life.
            What I found most compelling while reading this book was within the first few pages of the story you were thrown into this person’s life. It was so enthralling to all the sudden be encapsulated in this world that was seemingly normal with at first subtle hints other worldly elements and science fiction.  It was spine-chilling and as the story developed it was clear you were in a science fiction story.  The romantic in me wanted something to happen between the protagonist and Lettie on their adventures but of course it wasn’t so.  I do however wish I understood more backstory, but maybe that’s my western compulsion of storytelling that I know. I want to know more, but I don’t necessarily need it. I didn’t complete the novel. but I do intend on continuing it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment